The deadline for submissions has passed and we have begun the judging process. Thank you to everyone that has submitted your art.
In the year 1593, bubonic plague swept through London, killing almost a third of its population. In times of plague, when deaths exceeded thirty per week, London authorities closed the theaters. As acting companies fell on hard times, Shakespeare took the forced closures as a time to create, and in the year 1593 began to compose the first of what would be a brilliant collection of 154 sonnets. Richard III, Venus and Adonis, Titus Andronicus, and the Taming of the Shrew were also thought to have been written during this dark time for the theater, and in 1606 when the plague returned to once again to ravage the city, Shakespeare persevered with the creation of many of his greatest plays of all time, including Antony and Cleopatra, King Lear, and Macbeth.
History has repeated itself and humanity is again facing a pandemic which has disrupted normal life and shuttered performing and visual art venues. To support creative artists during this time, the Koger Center for the Arts is launching the 1593 Project: A Call For Art From the Koger Center for the Arts. We encourage submissions from South Carolina performing and visual artists through June 30, 2020. The chosen artist will receive a $500 stipend, rehearsal or gallery space, and technical support resulting in a free public performance or display in one of the areas at the Koger Center.
• Artist must be a South Carolina resident
• Artist must be 18 or older
• Professional and nonprofessional artists are encouraged to apply
• Artist must not have appeared or be scheduled to appear at the Koger Center in a professional performance or a previous visual arts presentation- exceptions would be granted if the artist has performed as a member of a professional group at the Koger Center, but was not involved in a leading capacity.
• Any visual medium or genre of performing art is acceptable
Entrance Submission Requirements:
• Contact information-name, address, phone number and email address
• Accompanying your video, audio, jpg, etc.-please include a brief description of your piece, no more than 500 words.
• If you would like to give us permission to post your submission on our social media, please include this line with your application. I give the Koger Center for the Arts permission to place my submission on its social media.
• All documents must be received by midnight on June 30, 2020
• All submissions must be via email or mail
• An original creation that has previously been performed or exhibited is eligible, but please note when and where it was performed or exhibited.
• A submission of a full performance is not necessary, it can be one scene from a play, a musical selection, one painting etc. Please note on your description if this is a portion of a larger piece or exhibit and describe the plans to build a full performance or display.
Email all submissions to email@example.com
or mail them to:
Koger Center for the Arts
1051 Greene Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Questions may be directed to KogerCenter@sc.edu or at 803-777-7500
In the case of materials mailed to the Koger Center for the Arts, they must be picked up by the artist if they wish a return of the submitted materials.